Monday, February 12, 2018

36.Culturally Sensistive

Back in August, I was walking my dog, when I saw big fancy new black car came up my street. The two men inside were wearing kufiyehs and white suits with sunglasses. Since it was not Halloween, and I am a stupid Westerner, I became concerned when they pulled over to me. But they were laughing and smiling as they rolled down the window. I thought maybe they were lost, but they politely explained that it was a holy Muslim holiday and they offered me my choice from a fancy box of chocolates. I have to admit my ignorance here because I knew Eid was coming (thank you , Facebook) but I didn't know what it was (the reverse of Halloween, apparently, where strangers offer you candy on the street), and I am embarrassed to admit I was afraid to take a piece of chocolate from a stranger. Mom's teachings run deep...but why exactly was I nervous?

I politely declined and said I was allergic (hey, there might have been wheat in there!), but I could see they were a little disappointed. The box was almost empty, they had already given much away. I thanked them, said I knew it was Eid, but that I didn't know what to say to them. They told me to say "Happy Eid," so I did, and they laughed and drove off. They actually appeared to be nice young men and I feel ashamed to have mistrusted them.

Reflecting on this as I walked home, I realize I would have been equally distrustful of any person suddenly offering me sweets for no apparent reason in the middle of the street. But in my ignorance, I did not know there was actually a reason, and now I feel like my trepidation caused me to miss out on something special. We are all so consumed with the fear-mongering purported on the news about some Muslims who do bad things in the name of their beliefs, I really felt compelled to share a story of Muslims who did something extraordinary and nice in the name of the same beliefs...and how I screwed it up with the fear I've learned to feel for my fellow man.

If I had been less ignorant of the meaning of Eid, I would have celebrated with them. Western religious traditions are rammed down the throats of Americans, but I know little to nothing about Eastern traditions. I am committed to enhancing my own diversity and I hope you will join me. You probably know I'm an atheist, so this is not a dogmatic transformation, but rather a way I can continue to respect people and cultures and their beliefs by redressing my own ignorance. I hope you will join me. An to all my Muslim friends, I wish you a joyous and happy Eid this August.

No comments:

Post a Comment